Sunday, September 2, 2007

Doctor Strangehate

We changed Ellen's doctor last week after a strange experience. We originally chose this Doc because he was Taiwanese like Ellen, but grew up in Japan and spoke Japanese. This is kind of the lingua franca for Ellen and I, although we primarily use English now.
We met this Doc, and I explained that Ellen was using some herbal supplements she bought from a Chinese medicine shop. The doctor looked at me (Trevor) with complete disgust and said: "Why did you let her use Chinese medicine? Chinese are the dumbest, stinkiest, dirtiest people in the world!" He then looked at me and said "You are supposed to know this, YOU ARE AMERICAN! I CAN"T BELIEVE YOU WERE SO STUPID TO USE CHINESE MEDICINE!!!"
Well, after this rather shocking episode, we promptly changed doctors. I have never been to China, but I know some Chinese, and they are smart, intelligent, kind people. I was surprised that the learned doctor said something which indicates he is not so learned.

3 comments:

Lane Everglade said...

I still believe chinese medicine
,but I know it doesn't work this time

Elissa said...

Hey guys! Good to hear you found someone who is going to be better for you both! Hey you never mentioned when Ellen is going to have her surgery?? We hope you guys are doing well!!

DrJ said...

Well herbal quality is very hard to regulate in any country. It is pretty much an open market. So it is very hard to know what you are getting without buying from the the company that has done the research.