Sunday, July 6, 2008

Marriage is Bliss!


Ellen and I attended the summer stock (known as "Musical Circus" here in Sac) production of "The Sound of Music" last night. After seeing 4 shows on Broadway, we were actually quite impressed, and a member of our ward was conducting the music, to our surprise. After seeing the show, I started thinking back to my days as a single man in Provo and Afton, Wyoming, when I was trying to find a wife. What a difference marriage makes. 

When I was single, I would be kinda nervous before a date, especially if it was a first date. "What will she be like? Is she going to have an engaging personality, a sense of humor, and look phi-phi-fine, or will she have the personality of a rock? Will she appreciate my sense of humor, my awesome 1982 Corolla, my well-rounded frame?" 
Then, of course, you had to worry about how much you should spend on a date. "Is this girl worth taking to the Cougs v. Utes football game, or is she going to care more about cute Cosmo than what's happening between the hash marks? Do I like this girl enough to take her to "Les Miserables?" 

While I was thinking about all of this, an overwhelming feeling of gratitude came over me. Now, being married to my sweetheart Ellen, I have no such worries. I know what she likes, I know she thinks I am a total studmuffin, I think she is phi-phi-fine, and even finer as a pregnant princess, she loves musicals, is worth taking to whatever I can afford to take her to, and I know at the end of a night out, we don't have to end with some awkward kiss goodnight, or a lousy makeout session with no natural ending. Being married to Ellen is something I just don't want to ever take for granted. I'm so glad we can go do things whenever, wherever we decide to do them, and have great experiences the whole time. Thanks babe!

3 comments:

Lacey.costner said...

awww I'm so glad I only had to date till 19, even though, I did date some douchebags...and hey, one is in my ward now...YIPPEE for me!! Ellen is PERFECT for you and we love her to death!!!

ranman said...

Yeah we remember some of your dates too. Good thing you got Ellen! And you may find that will be a little harder to go to a musical or "whenever and wherever" once little Shailey May comes.

wyobuff said...

We agree. Ellen was the best woman for a great son. Hope you never, ever forget your feelings for her.
Love
Dad