Monday, March 3, 2008

The San Francisco We Didn't Want to See


So, last weekend, Ellen and I went to see this big Chinese New Year parade, touted as the largest one outside of China or Taiwan. Ellen was excited to help celebrate the Lunar New Year, as it is the biggest holiday in her culture. I purchased special bleacher seats, just to make sure we had a view....well, what we got to see was much different than I had planned. This float on the right was for the "Gay Asian Pacific Alliance." Ellen and I felt strange being the only ones not cheering wildly for this float. I thought "maybe the Provo Freedom Festival Parade would have been a better one to take Ellen to for her first American parade experience." The other float that was interesting to see was for San Francisco's "official" band, the "Rainbow Band of Unity" or something like that. I wish I had a pic of the leader, some dude with a happy er..gay smile twirling a baton and looking like he wished he was tinkerbell. We've got to find a battery charger for our camera so we can get better pics! Anyway, Ellen asked a lot of questions about various groups in the parade that I wasn't prepared to really answer that night. I think the next time we celebrate Chinese New Year, we will do it in Taiwan.

2 comments:

Lacey.costner said...

lol wow, that had to be a sight!!! I'm sure that was an interesting conversation on the way home....when are we going to see ya'll!?!? We miss you!!!

Dan and Janay said...

Please tell me that the Unity band was playing "I'm every woman" as made famous by Whitney Houston.