Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Rich kids and poor kids

I was reflecting today on the modest upbringing I had, so I decided to list some of the differences between rich kids and poor kids in school. Now, I am not going for extremes..just the subtle differences. Also, "rich kids" as used below does not mean kids whose families actually had a lot of money, just kids whose parents spent more money on them.

Crayons
Rich kids always had the Crayola box of 64 with the "built in sharpener." I had K-mart waxy sticks, the kind that smeared on the paper in glops. The cool thing about the box of 64 was the semi-sparkly gold and silver crayons. Think the K-mart wax sticks had those colors? Heck no. I had to wait like a vulture, hoping a chunk of someone else's gold or silver crayon fell on the floor, then covertly snatch it up and drop it into one of the slots in my 8 pack that had a missing crayon. (I always got rid of brown because it looked poopy).

Lunch Boxes
Rich kids, if they didn't just pay for the hot lunches, always had the coolest lunch boxes, with cartoons or T.V. shows that were in prime time. Kids had B.A. Barakus or the Incredible Hulk or Knight Rider. I had a lunchbox picked up from a garage sale, so it was some show I never saw, like the 6 million dollar man or Kojak or something.

Lunch itself
Rich kids had hostess cupcakes, twinkies, and ALWAYS had a bag of frito lay chips. Rich kids had lunchables or slim jims, or cheese and crackers. Me, if I had chips, it was some generic brand, put into a ziploc bag. My hostess twinkie was usually an apple or an orange. No slim jims or cheese and crackers. Guaranteed I had a bologna sandwich, or if it was a good day, "cotto salami." You know, the spicy-looking lunchmeat. One benefit of being a poor kid is learning how to trade, although it was unfair trade. I felt like Bangladesh trying to trade with the U.S. "Um, I'll give you all of my generic chips plus my orange for one half of your hostess cupcake. Ok, you can scoop the filling out before I get it too."

Birthday presents
Rich kids got Nintendo games, Transformers. I got practical gifts, like socks, a coat, or mittens. Hey, aren't kids supposed to get those things anyway??

Shoes
Rich kids got Nikes. My nickname for most of my elementary school years was "Pro-Wings." Never heard of them? They were a payless shoe source brand who tried to be Pony, Puma, or Converse. I would have been happy with those brands, but I wore Pro-Wings like I had an endorsement deal with them. When I finally bought my first pair of Nike's, I rode my bike all the way across town, paid most of my paper route savings for them, then felt guilty about it for months, trying to conceal my extravagant purchase from my family for as long as I could. I still feel guilty about it. Still, it was worth not being called "Pro-Wings."

Television
Rich kids have a T.V. in their room. We had a family T.V., which always had a problem of one kind or another. We had one particular T.V. that, at random, wouldn't turn on, so you had to wait 30 minutes, or if someone messed up and tried to turn it on before waiting 30 minutes, an hour wait. How many countless hours were wasted in frustration waiting for that darn T.V. to turn on.

Eating out
Rich kids eat at all kinds of restaurants, and frequently. When we ate at a restaurant, it meant we were on the road traveling and someone forgot to pack a cooler of food (see lunch topic above), or it was my birthday, or we accomplished some major family goal, which reward was eating at a restaurant. Seriously, rich kids get sick of going to McDonalds. I can count how many times we went to McDonald's growing up on one hand. (If you see me today, you realize I have more than made up for missing out on Mickey D's as a youth).


Now, in all honesty, I wouldn't have had it any other way. Raising 6 kids is a financial burden for sure, and we were able to see most of the western U.S. on vacations, went camping a lot, went to parks and had picnics all the time. I was always proud that when we went on vacation, we actually crossed the Mississsippi river (I grew up in Illinois). I always felt sorry for the kids who went to Decatur to see their grandma, or went all the way to Chicago (a 2 hour drive) to see relatives. I had a Dad who played catch with me and my brothers in the backyard, a mom who took us to the library and made up fun activities for us, and parents who really let us use our imaginations and creativity. Can't complain about that at all. Plus, wearing Pro-Wings and eating bologna sandwiches for lunch built character.

11 comments:

Elissa said...

Trevor, you forgot about Deseret Industries brand food...the logo that screams out "we're poor"...about the metamucel style fruit drinks, the cheddar cheese and peanut butter with oily residue, friends asking where we got our food because they'd never heard of that brand before....just to name a few

kanaboke said...

Oh my gosh, Amen to this blog..Trevor, who knew you were such an amazing writer...I mean you were already pretty amazing and hilarious on the mish, but seriously, I love reading your blogs. This blog doesn't just describe poor kids..it basically describes all the Mormon kids that actually have the best thing in the world...one most rich kids don't have the pleasure of enjoying...a Mom at home..I wouldn't trade our "poorness" for the world..like you said, "it builds character"..aka, we mighta cried when kids teased us but gosh, we're tough cookies now!!

Lacey.costner said...

lol aww trev did this take me back. I also remember the cheap yogurt that was more like a yogurt smoothie. I didn't even know what a mall was till I moved NC and realized walmart wasn't the only place you could buy clothes. But hey,we have a great family, and look were these experiences have taken all of us now..I love you!!

dust and kam said...

Ha ha! I remember the first time I got brand name shoes! I was 20 - oh yeah, the year I met you! (remember when we tried to be runners!! Ha ha In my fancy Nike shoes!!) I finally threw them out last year! lol

Love the post! Brought back many memories. Oh yeah and I LOVE Brittania Pants! With pleats! Yes!!! Oh the good 'ole days!

meghan said...

Trevor, this blog was great. I laughed so hard that I read it to my husband. I don't know if you really even would remember me. I was friends with Jean East. Here is our family page
www.garrangillespie.blogspot.com
Congrats on expecting a baby!

Lacey.costner said...

that's awesome! i hear ya Pro Wing...i spent most of my childhood being called Everlast...that's right they don't just make boxing gear, their into branding little kids as losers...since 1982. i think i was a freshman in high school before i got my first pair of brand name shoes and i'm pretty sure it was just a small upgrade to the low end converse that had come out two years before. at least you had a lunchbox. i'll raise my brown paper bag lunch of last night's leftovers as i walk by you in the cafeteria to the corner where i eat lunch by myself. what a childhood. but we're older now and it looks like i'm still poor...how 'bout you?
ryan

Rebecca said...

I, according to your post, was definately a rich kid! I told Randy that the way you start each new paragraph describes me! And might I add that I LOVED my 64 box of crayons with the built in sharpener!! Who knows how many of those bad boys I eventually owned!

And if I could figure out how to comment on Ellen's blog I would tell her how cute she looks pregnant and that I like her hair! Pass it on please.

ranman said...

Dude, funniest post ever! You put it into words what we all lived. The saddest part Trev is, we all got your pro-wing/bum equipment shopko shopping spree clothes from 1989 for like the next 10 years! I wonder what Adam Lyons is wearing now? Randy

Adam and Melisa said...

So...am I spoiling my kids if I buy them a new box of crayons when their's get worn or all busted up!? I love a fresh new box of crayons!

Dan and Janay said...

Okay, my shoe of choice was the XJ-900. It was made to look like Reebok "pumps" which had the little basketball on the tongue that you could pump and add air to your shoes. My XJ-900's had a little basketball on the tongue but pumping it did absolutley nothing. But that didn't stop me from giving it a few pumps before I headed out to recess. My brothers to this day still mock me for my XJ's. Power to the Poor Kids!!!!

Dan

Anonymous said...

You're lucky on the lunch boxes! I had Hot Wheels--and I'm a girl!